MARQUEZ STAYS SILENT AS QATAR MOTOGP RACE REMAINS ON THE CALENDAR
22 Oct 2026·

MotoGP’s Qatar Grand Prix remains scheduled for November 6–8, but riders are weighing safety concerns as conflict in the Middle East escalates. Teams have reportedly been told the race is still planned, while Lusail circuit officials say preparations for the MotoGP and Formula 1 events are in their final stages. The uncertainty comes amid reports of attacks on civilian infrastructure in Saudi Arabia and updated travel advice from several governments.
The race was moved from April because of the conflict and is now set to be the third round of a triple-header after Australia and Malaysia. Portimao and Valencia have each been pushed back a week. MotoGP has maintained that it intends to race at Lusail and will not name a replacement event. If Qatar is cancelled, the calendar would fall from 22 races to 21, leaving 37 fewer points available in the title fight between Marc Marquez and Jorge Martin.
With two weeks to go, riders continued to voice misgivings about racing in a region affected by armed conflict. Asked about the race ahead of the Australian Grand Prix, reigning world champion Marquez initially declined to give his view, saying: “Regarding that, I prefer not to give my opinion at the moment.” In another exchange, he said: “You know I speak about everything… but I won’t speak about this.” Journalist Simon Patterson suggested on X that riders may have been given a standard response, noting that many were expressing faith in Dorna to make the call. That suggestion has not been confirmed.
Championship leader Martin, who holds a two-point advantage over Marquez, said no one had told the riders the event was off. “It’s just another race. If we go, great; if not, that's fine too,” he said. “If the organisers decide we can go, it'll be because our safety is guaranteed.”
Alex Marquez said the situation was worsening and could change quickly. While the championship had told riders that matters were under control, he questioned whether anyone could fully control such a complex situation. He urged organisers not to rush a decision, to assess developments over the coming days and to put the safety of everyone travelling to Qatar ahead of financial considerations. He also argued that the decision to travel should not be made yet.
Other riders also stressed that safety must determine whether the event proceeds. Pedro Acosta said he was contracted to a manufacturer and championship, so would race if instructed, adding: “If we go, it's because it's more or less guaranteed that the situation is safe.” Bagnaia has been hesitant and wants to wait for a decision, while Fabio Quartararo has said he is not troubled by the situation and wants to race. Bagnaia said Dorna’s priority was to ensure “total safety” and that he did not believe it would take risks if that could not be assured.
The Qatar race is commercially significant, and its fate is also being watched as a possible indicator of whether Formula 1 can stage its Qatar and Abu Dhabi races as planned. The wider political situation remains unpredictable, leaving MotoGP’s plans subject to change.